What are we doing as people? Are we really listening to those around us? Do we even truly see someone who is right in front of us? Are things really what they seem? Work, social media, possessions and looking good among other things have consumed many of our lives. Maybe not 24/7 for some but I have felt, lived and observed our lives consumed by so many things portrayed/perceived as so important. In my perfect world there would be nothing more important than the person or people around you. And I’m not just talking about family. I’m talking about your neighbor. The person in line in front of you. Anyone who crosses your path. But again that’s my perfect world which I don’t always live in personally. I’ve caught myself rushing to work and seeing someone on the side of the road obviously needing help. But I don’t stop. I continue on with my day as if my being on time for work or whatever I’m doing is more important than simply taking the time to help or maybe just check on another human being. This used to make me angry. Now I just feel sad. In some aspects the disconnect grows and grows. Other times I’m truly amazed by the consecutiveness surrounding me. It’s not my place to judge or dictate how ones life is lived. But I do feel it is all of our duties as human beings to question ourselves as well as others. To really take stock of what’s going on within and around us. A sense of awareness coupled with connection. Life is a beautiful thing and we all get to choose what makes it beautiful. I invite us all to choose willingly, considerately and knowingly.
Although I may not always respond or acknowledge (I’m working on that as well as my communication skills) I truly appreciate and value every response. Whether it is a like or sharing some words. It’s not natural or always easy for me to share. I’ve lived as though I’ve had something to hide for most of my life. Some who have known me longer might say I was very quite or shy. Then through sharing, listening and being vulnerable I’ve learned that a lot of us have similar feelings even if the actual circumstances are different or unique. This has given me and fed the urge to share. With this sharing I do my best to be intentional with my words and with my feelings. I hope to never offend or upset. Rather inspire and promote thoughts or questions. As I said before… the older I get the more questions I have. I believe our lives and the way we live our lives as a society deserves thought and questioning. Not in a way of making wrong or causing hate and upset. But in a way of making conscience choices based on our current level of knowledge. For me the times where I grow is when I obtain or experience a different perspective. A way of looking at something through a different lens. I believe everyone’s perspective has value no matter how offensive, thoughtful or ignorant it may appear. We all have lived through valuable experiences that shaped this perspective. So rather than arguing or just agreeing I invite us all to listen and ask questions so we can better understand each other and grow together. Because honestly no matter what your race, color , religion or belief is. You should take a moment to consider how it is just a miracle and incredible we are all here at this same moment in time.
Growing up I was raised by my mom and sister the majority of the time. So I have always had a more sensitive side as well as a respect for women. That sensitivity and respect has been tested over the years. I’m definitely guilty of mistreating and undervaluing women among other people from time to time. It stems from insecurities and honestly just a lack of knowledge/experience. In today’s world we see so much mistreatment not only towards women but towards humanity as a whole. It’s as if we have forgotten that we are all connected and here on this journey together at the same exact time. Coincidence? I believe everything happens for a reason and we can control/guide our futures. At times I feel lost and out of balance. Then I connect with someone, feel grateful and humbled. I know it’s hard to stay awake in life when sometimes it just feels easier to close your eyes. I am here to encourage you to push through and keep your eyes and heart open. This year my wife and I chose words we want to focus and work on. My word for 2018 is vulnerability. Without vulnerability how can we truly connect? How can we truly live? How can we truly thrive? Vulnerability= Connection= Fulfillment
What drives you? What gets you out of bed in the morning? What keeps you moving forward?
There is no right or wrong answer to these questions. We all are motivated in different ways. Whether it is your family, bills to pay or simply the money. Do the answers to these questions truly make you happy?
Life was meant to be lived and enjoyed. Somewhere along the way a lot of us lost sight of this. We get up in the morning to chase the dream of either making enough money to solve our problems or the dream of finding a distraction to temporarily forget our problems. Money comes and goes while problems will always remain. Happiness can not be bought. Happiness is enjoying the things you have. Enjoying the wonderfully unique people around you. True happiness is creating happiness within your self as well as others.
I am not saying it is not good to dream or strive for more. I am saying please do not lose sight of what really makes you happy. Money and power can be stripped away in an instant in this world. Do not let it define you.
Here are some tips on how to find happiness. Enjoy 🙂
– help others. Whether it is holding the door open kindly or listening to someone in need.
– eat healthy and exercise. What you put in your body and what you do to your body effect you more then you think.
– pray, meditate or just sit in silence with yourself often. This is a good way to recharge after a stressful day, week or month. It will be hard at first but I promise you will feel a difference.
– be thankful and remind yourself what you are thankful for. This really puts things in perspective.
– spend time with loved ones or volunteer helping people. Even if you do not have family near you or you do not have family you can still form a loving bond with good strangers in need. You never know where the relationships you make will take you. We are all one big family on this earth wether you choose to believe it or not.
– perform random acts of kindness. You do not need money to make a difference in someone’s life. You can offer someone one of your coupons. You can give them a compliment. You can spend time with them. You can just simply smile at someone. In business a happy customer leads to referrals of more customers. The same goes for life. One good deed will lead to many more good deeds. Think about it.
– be positive and put out clear intentions of what you want in this world. What you think becomes your reality. Why not make it a pleasant one? By having positive intentions and being an honest person you will receive the same in return. You may run across negativity and dishonesty at times. That is opportunity knocking. The opportunity to grow , learn and possibly change someone’s outlook on life.
When we go out into this world as our best genuine self others see and feel that. One person can not change the world but one person can change another persons world. Then that person will change another person and so on. We all need to change the world. Combined we have have all the answers. Combined we are invincible.